You can’t call it a true summer without attempting to make your own ice cream!
While you can always buy ice cream from the store or your local ice-cream supplier, sometimes it’s just more fun to make it yourself!
This recipe can be flavoured however you wish, but here is our suggestion:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 cups coconut cream
- 0.75 cup organic cane sugar
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 0.25 cup pistachios, chopped
What to do:
- Whisk the egg yolks until homogenized and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat up the coconut cream, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla – whisk well until the sugar is fully dissolved. Then gently stream half of this mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks. Mix that up well, and add it back to your saucepan, while gently whisking. Keep on low to medium heat until the liquid thickens into a custard like texture - don’t let it boil!
- Pour your mixture into a medium sized bowl that is set in some ice water. Add your cherries and pistachios - let cool. Then place into an air-tight container (or a freezer bag, pushing out all the air) and freeze overnight before serving.
Ice cream can be a tricky recipe to master, so don’t feel bad if the consistency doesn’t turn out perfect – what matters is that it tastes great and puts a smile on your face – even if it’s ice-cream soup!