You simply cannot deny the satisfaction of having a homemade chocolate dessert on hand, any day of the week! Well, our resident blog writer, Layla, is sharing with you today her mother’s famous “Chocolate Roll” recipe. Layla grew up with this dessert, and that is possibly one of the reasons she inherited her mother’s insatiable sweet tooth, especially for all things chocolate!
Beware, while this recipe is not the healthiest or lowest fat option, it definitely does wonders for the soul. As Layla says, “everything in moderation...including moderation itself!”
What you’ll need:
- 4 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 0.75 block of butter (regular size)
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pack of Rich Tea or plain Digestive cookies, chopped.
And here’s what you’ll do:
- Melt the butter on medium heat, then whisk in the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Keep whisking while you add the eggs and lemon zest.
- Let this mixture cool down then fold in the biscuits and mix them in evenly.
- Place mixture in the freezer for 30 mins, then remove and roll the slightly hardened mixture into longs about 2 inches thick. Wrap them with cling film (beware, this can be tricky to remove when serving) OR parchment paper (easier to remove when serving, but harder to really cover all angles of logs).
- Freeze for another hour or so (depending on temp and power of freezer) and your Chocolate Roll is ready!
To serve, slice logs into 0.5inch thick rounds, and let sit for a few minutes before devouring...if you can!