This being the last weekend of official summer, we thought we’d honor it with a comfort food recipe – with a (smelly) twist.
Mac and Cheese is anyone’s favorite childhood food that never gets old.
But sometimes, it’s fun to take your childhood habits up a notch and adapt them to your adult(ish) life!
This recipe does just that. Keep reading to find out more!
What you’ll need:
- 0.5 pack elbow pasta (or 1lb)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1tsp crushed garlic
- 1tsp salt
- 0.25 cup dried, crushed herb blend (oregano/rosemary/basil)
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping or coconut)
- 2 cups milk (whole milk or coconut milk)
- 1.75cups shredded, sharp cheddar
- 1 pack your favorite blue cheese (the secret ingredient)
- 0.5 cup of breadcrumbs or Panko
- 1 cup bacon bits
Here’s what you do:
- Cook the pasta and strain it. Set it aside.
- In the same pot, warm up the butter, add the heavy cream, until it simmers. Then, add the salt, garlic, herb blend and flour; whisk until combined and aromatic.
- Add in your milk until it bubbles, then add your cheddar, whisking until melted, then half of your blue cheese, also whisking until melted. Add in your cooked pastas and mix well.
- In a separate pan, cook your bacon bits until crispy then mix it in with the pasta. (If your bacon bits are purchased ready-to-eat, simply add them to the pasta just before step 5)
- Finally, place your pasta in a baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining blue cheese and breadcrumbs, and cook for 30 minutes.
Your Blue Mac and Cheese should have a golden top layer when it’s done, and should taste divine! Enjoy!